White Company tractor model
This model represents a White Motor Company six-wheeled tractor and eight-wheeled trailer. The bright red cab color was typical of the White Company tractors.
Thomas White founded the White Motor Company in 1876 in Cleveland, Ohio, as a sewing machine company. In the 1890s, White’s sons Windsor and Rollin began to introduce automobile design and manufacturing. The White Motor Company produced military trucks for the U.S. and for export. They produced the first Highway Post Office bus in 1941. The company entered the heavy-truck market after World War II but was unable to sustain profitability and declared bankruptcy in 1980. Several White plants were sold to Volvo, which continued producing trucks under the White name until the late 1990s.
The Post Office Department began using tractor-trailers to move mail between cities in the 1950s, employing cabs from White as well as International at first. Other companies that produced tractor cabs for the Department in the 1950s included Great Dane, Dorsey Gramm, Highway Products, and Freuhauf. Postal officials deemed the White and International tractors to be the best suited for mail delivery. Between 1956 and 1959 the Department purchased seventeen White and 202 International tractor cabs. The majority of the trailers were 20’ long. The manufacturer of the trailer in this model can not be determined.
Bruns, James H. Mail on the Move. Polo, Illinois: Transportation Trails, 1992.