First helicopter mail sack
Beginning August 20, 1949, Air Mail Route No. 96 was the Chicago area helicopter service. On the inaugural flight, Wes Moore of the Helicopter Air Sevice, Inc. carried this mail pouch of domestic U.S. airmail from the roof of the Chicago Post Office to the airmail service field at Midway Airport.
On June 2,1947, helicopters became an official part of the U.S. airmail fleet. The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) certified the operation of airmail helicopters in Los Angeles, California. Airmail helicopter tests had been conducted in L.A., Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Kansas City and New York City prior to these first official flights.