Plate proofs for the 5-cent stamp were approved on November 30, 1928 while the 2-cent plate proofs were certified on December 1.
These two large die proofs were approved by Postmaster General New and Third Assistant Postmaster General Robert Regar on December 4, 1928, indicating that they were presentation pieces created specifically for the Post Office archives. (The actual production proofs were approved on November 8, before the printing plates were created.)
The initial print order for the 2-cent stamp was twenty million copies, later increased to fifty-one million; for the 5-cent stamp the initial printing was five million copies, later doubled to ten million. Both stamps were issued to post offices in panes of fifty.