Arago: Exhibits

UP

St. Helena - Badge of the Colony

10sh olive green & black Badge of the Colony single

The 10-shilling Badge of the Colony stamp was issued between 1922-1927.

1-pound red violet & black Badge of the Colony single

The 1-pound Badge of the Colony stamp was issued between 1922-1927.

The borders were filled by a bunch of Easter lilies on the left and stalks of New Zealand flax on the right, an allusion to the island’s chief industry at that time. At the height of production there were eight mills on the island producing hemp, rope and twine.

Whilst the vignette was invariably grey, different colours were used for the frames of the eighteen denominations released over the next few years. Colored papers were also employed for certain denominations, notably the top values. The £1 was printed on red paper and the 15-shilling on blue.

This brightly colored typographed definitive set remained in use until the advent of the George VI series in May 1938. The island's main industry lasted a little longer, but was soon suffering from a global decline in demand. Its death knell was sounded in the 1970s, ironically, when the British Post Office abandoned coarse twine and adopted plastic string and rubber bands for securing bundles of mail.