Soon after Miller donated his collection to The New York Public Library in 1925, about half the stamps were remounted for display. The rest were remounted after World War II. Housed in special cabinets, the stamps inspired generations of collectors.
Then, one weekend in 1977, some valuable items were stolen and the collection was sent to secure storage. More than half the stolen objects were recovered in the 1980s. The rest have never been found. In recent years, the Library has conserved and documented the Miller collection so that it can be exhibited again.