A 20-cent commemorative stamp honoring the 50th anniversary of the International Peace Garden was issued June 30, 1982, in Dunseith, North Dakota. The First Day of Issue ceremony was held in the Masonic Memorial Auditorium on the grounds of the International Peace Garden.
The international Peace Garden is located in the state of North Dakota and the province of Manitoba, Canada, and symbolizes the harmony in which the two nations live along the longest unfortified boundary in the world. The gardens, located in the Turtle Mountains, consist of more than 2,300 acres. Dr. Henry J. Moore conceived the idea for gardens "where the people of the two countries could share the glories found in a garden and the pleasures found in warm friendships" in 1929. The National Association of Gardeners approved the plan and the International Peace Garden was dedicated July 14, 1932, at the Peace Cairn, which is the focal point of the Gardens. The Peace Cairn is made of native stone and inscribed," To God in His Glory, we two nations dedicate this garden and pledge ourselves that as long as men shall live, we will not take up arms against one another."
The stamp was designed by Gyo Fujikawa of New York, New York. The stamp was printed in the intaglio process, with fifty stamps per pane.
Postal Bulletin (May 27, 1982).