The Postal Service issued a 25-cent New York Statehood commemorative stamp on July 26, 1988, in Albany, New York. The dedication ceremony was held in the State Museum on Empire State Plaza.
The design features, on the right, the original Federal Hall in New York City flanked by Wall Street, with the steeple of Trinity Church rising in the distance.
The present-day Federal Hall is two steps removed from the original New York City Hall where the Congress of the Confederation met in January 1785, when the city became the national capital. In 1788, Pierre L'Enfant was commissioned to remodel the building to meet the needs of the new federal government, but L'Enfant's building, too, has long since been demolished. Trinity Church, chartered in 1697, was subsequently destroyed by fire. The present church, built on the same site, dates back to 1846.
Designed by Bradbury Thompson, the stamps were printed in the offset/intaglio process (D Press) by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and issued in panes of fifty.
Postal Bulletin (June 30, 1988).