The United States Postal Service released the 6-cent Wolf Trap Farm Park commemorative stamp on June 26, 1972, in Vienna, Virginia. This stamp covered the mail rate for postcards mailed within the United States to Canada and Mexico. Howard Koslow designed the stamp, of which 104 million were issued.
In 1966, the National Park Service established Wolf Trap Farm Park — now the National Park for the Performing Arts — in Vienna, Virginia, on land donated by Catherine Filene Shouse. Ms. Shouse had owned the property since 1930, having used it for decades as a retreat from the hectic life she lived in the Washington, DC, area. In 1982, fire destroyed the Filene Center, Wolf Trap's outdoor venue, which the USPS featured on the 1972 stamp.
As early as 1632, according to manuscript records, wolves caused much damage in this region, and settlers offered rewards of tobacco to those who could trap wolves. An official land survey dated 1739 referred to the area as "Wolf Trap," the name used to this day.
Postal Bulleting (April 27, 1972).
"Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts." National Park Service. www.nps.gov/wotr/
Kloetzel, James E. ed. 2009 Specialized Catalogue of United States Stamps and Covers. 87th ed. Sidney, Ohio: Scott Publishing Co. 2008.