The 6-cent California Bicentennial commemorative stamp was issued July 16, 1969, at San Diego, California. It was here in 1769 that a Spanish expedition under Governor Gaspar de Portola, accompanied by Father Junipero Serra, began colonization.
This stamp, designed by Leonard Buckley and Howard C. Mildner of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, reproduced the belfry of the mission at Carmel, where Father Serra is buried. Two browns, blue and red are combined in the stamp. Blue and light brown were applied by offset; dark brown and red by the Giori press. 120 million stamps were initially produced in panes of fifty.
Postal Bulletin (June 19, 1969).