The 5-cent stamp commemorating the 50th anniversary of independence for the Republic of Finland and a tradition of friendship between the United States and Finland was first placed on sale on October 6, 1967, at Finland, Minnesota.
Reproduced on the stamp is the Finnish coat of arms, which dates to 1581, the year Finland became a grand duchy under Sweden. It is a crowned lion, rampant, holding a sword, and standing on an unsheathed saber. On the shield are nine roses, believed to represent the nine original provinces.
The stamp was designed by Bradbury Thompson and issued in panes of fifty, with an initial printing of 120 million.
Reference: Postal Bulletin (August 17, 1967).