The 5-cent stamp commemorating the centennial anniversary of Nebraska statehood was first placed on sale at Lincoln, Nebraska, on July 29, 1967. Lincoln was selected as the state capital on that day in 1867. Nebraska gained statehood on March 1, 1867.
Julian K. Billings of Omaha, Nebraska, designed the stamp. An ear of yellow corn with its green husk is the background against which the artist placed a reddish-brown Hereford cow. Yellow and green were printed offset; brown was applied by the Giori press. It was issued in panes of fifty and was authorized for an initial printing of 120 million.
Postal Bulletin (June 22, 1967).