The 5-cent stamp commemorating the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Erie Canal was first placed on sale on July 4, 1967, in Rome, New York, where the groundbreaking occurred on that day in 1817.
The Erie Canal, the engineering marvel of its day, had a tremendous impact on the country. It provided low-cost transportation that opened the Midwest to commerce and settlers and made New York City a great port. The canal was forty feet wide, four feet deep, and stretched 363 miles from the Hudson River, just north of Troy, westward to Buffalo. Eighty-three locks lifted boats 568 feet, the difference in altitude between the Hudson and Lake Erie.
Designed by George Samerjan of New York City, the stamp was printed on the Giori press, issued in panes of fifty, and authorized for initial printing of 120 million.
Postal Bulletin (May 25, 1967).