The second Planes and Map airmail stamp was issued on September 18, 1926, in Washington, D.C., for use on one-ounce letters traveling up to 1,500 miles on contract airmail routes. Like the first issue in this series, it featured a topographical map and two de Havilland DH-4 mail planes. The olive brown color and horizontal rectangle shape made it easy for postal clerks to distinguish the letters franked for airmail.
The postage rates for domestic airmail from February 15, 1926, to January 31, 1927, confused many users. Rates had to be determined based on the combination of contract routes, zones, and types of airmail routes. By January 1927, only one contract route—CAM 8—provided the service that used the fifteen-cent rate stamp for distances exceeding 1,000 miles but under 1,500 miles (between Los Angeles and Seattle). As a result, the 15-cent stamp had a short period of expected use because on February 1, 1927, a uniform ten-cent rate per half-ounce went into effect to eliminate the complicated route and distance calculations. The stamp did find use on foreign airmail routes (FAMs) and could have been used to pay the triple-rate (one-and-a-half) under the new domestic airmail rate structure.