A 3-cent stamp commemorating the centennial anniversary of Michigan State College and Pennsylvania State University, first of the Land Grant institutions founded, appeared on February 12, 1955, in East Lansing, Michigan.
The central subject of the stamp is an open book on which is superimposed an arrangement of symbols depicting agriculture, mining, chemistry, and engineering, representing some of the leading subjects taught at these institutions. To the left of the open book appears the wording "Michigan State College," and in a similar position at the right is "Pennsylvania State University" in dark modified Gothic. Above the open book are the dates "1855" at the left and "1955" at the right, in white Gothic. In a light panel across the top of the stamp is the inscription "First of the Land Grant Colleges," and in a similar panel at the bottom is "3c" in dark Gothic.
The stamp is 0.84 by 1.44 inches in dimensions, arranged horizontally, printed by the rotary process, electric-eye perforated, and issued in sheets of fifty. The color of the stamp is green. The printing of 110,000,000 stamps was authorized.
Postal Bulletin (January 13, 1955).