Arago: 4-H Club Issue

Up
4-H Club Issue

A 3-cent commemorative stamp honoring the 50th anniversary of the 4-H Clubs of America was issued on January 15, 1952, at Springfield, Ohio, birthplace of the 4-H movement. The movement seeks to make public education more relevant to the needs of rural America. The four "H"s in the 4-H symbol refer to "Head, Heart, Hands, and Health."

Charles R. Chickering of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing designed the 4-H stamp. A poster provided by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) served as his inspiration. Matthew D. Fenton (vignette) and J.S. Edmondson (numerals, and lettering) engraved the die. Four 200-subject electric-eye printing plates (#24580-24583) were used on the rotary Stickney Press. Plates were used in pairs on the press, so each rotation of the press produced two sheets of 200 stamps, each of which was divided into four fifty-subject panes for distribution to post offices. Stamps were perforated 11x10.5 and printed on unwatermarked paper.

The 3-cent 4-H commemorative paid the postage rate for a one ounce first-class domestic letter.


Additional Records