Of the three buildings shown in the Washington, DC, sesquicentennial issue, the Supreme Court building was the last built (1932-1935). The 3-cent stamp featuring an image of this building was the third of four stamps issued to commemorate the National Capital sesquicentennial event.
The Post Office Department released the stamp on August 2, 1950. The vignette presents an image of the Supreme Court building. Under the building, the words "US Supreme Court" appear over the words "National Capital Sesquicentennial." The denomination appears in the lower left corner, and at the bottom appear the words "United States Postage."
It is interesting to note that the Montarrenti quarries of Siena, Italy, supplied some of the marble for the building and that Benito Mussolini was personally petitioned in May 1933 to insure that only the finest marble was sent to the United States.
Charles R. Chickering designed the stamp, and G. A. Gundersen engraved it. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced 324,007 stamps of this issue.
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced this stamp in light violet on a rotary press using and Electric Eye plate. Perforations were 10 1/2 x 11, and the stamp was printed in four panes of fifty stamps each.
Kloetzel, James E., ed. 2008 Specialized Catalogue of United States Stamps and Covers. 86th ed. Sidney, Ohio. Scott Publishing Co., 2009.
Allen, Bob. "US Stamps 1847USA Knowledge is Power." http://1847usa.com/identify/YearSets/1950.htm
Wikipedia. "United States Supreme Court building." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Supreme_Court_building