Two-slot stamp vending machine with side levers
This postage stamp vending machine was used in the Robinwood Pharmacy, Whitehall, Ohio. The Northwest Corporation of Morris, Illinois, manufactured this model, which has a curved top and decorative red stripes near the base. The black metal base stabilized the device on a countertop, and its tray received the stamps as they were issued from the machine. A key on the top of the metal case allowed access to the machinery and for restocking stamps. Also situated toward the top of the machine are two coin slots. Windows to the left of the slots display the postage stamps available for purchase. A 1-cent George Washington stamp (issued in 1956) appears on the left side and a 2-cent Thomas Jefferson stamp (issued in 1954) is on the right. On the russet-colored front, a line drawing of the U.S. Capitol dome surrounded by four stars sets-off the machine’s title, “U.S. Postage Stamps.” Below the title, two windows display the availability of the stock, and both windows show "empty” on a red background. Two levers attached on either side of the machine’s white body could be cranked to release the stamps.
Waldo Bolen began the Northwestern Corporation in 1909 as the Northwestern Novelty Company. One of his first items was a match vending machine. The company produced its first postage stamp vending machine in 1912.
http://www.nwcorp.com/history/ - History of the Northwestern Corporation.