Delegate badge for NFPOC&M convention
The metal-framed tag identified the wearer as a delegate from Minneapolis, Minnesota. The red, white, and blue ribbon shows the delegate was in attendance at the first national convention of the National Federation of Post Office Chauffeurs and Mechanics (NFPOC&M) union held in Chicago, Illinois, from September 7-9, 1935. The suspended medal features a figurative imprint of a building listed as the city’s “$5,000,000 Municipal Pier,” today known as Navy Pier.
The NFPOC&M was formed in 1923. The union changed its name to the National Federation of Post Office Motor Vehicle Employees in 1939. On July 1, 1971, this federation merged with four other unions to found the American Postal Workers Union.