Pharmaceutical mailing canister
This wooden cylindrical container with a metal screw cap was used as a mailing tube by Dr. N. Tucker of Mt. Gilead, Ohio. The cork-lined canister protected its contents while either mailing prescription drugs to a patient or returning empty medicine vials to pharmaceutical firms for refilling. Two U.S. postage stamps adhered to the tube—U.S. Scott 247 (1894 1-cent blue Franklin) and 257 (1895 8-cent violet brown Sherman)—indicating the package and its contents were well under the four-pound mailing limit that existed prior to the introduction of Parcel Post service in 1913.