Four years after issuing the 6-cent Franklin D. Roosevelt stamp, the Post Office Department introduced a new 6-cent stamp honoring Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890–1969). As general and supreme commander of the Allied forces, Eisenhower was chief architect of the Normandy invasion and allied victory in Europe during World War II. The popular Eisenhower was elected the nation's thirty-fourth president and served two terms. As president, he quickly negotiated a truce that brought an armed peace along the border of North and South Korea. Eisenhower, from a position of military strength n the early years of the Cold War, promoted cooperation with the Soviet Union. He pursued a strong but controlled military and emphasized a balanced budget. He sent federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957 to assure desegregation of schools in compliance with the federal court orders. He also ordered complete desegregation of the U.S. Armed Forces.
The dark blue gray 6-cent stamp was issued in sheets, horizontal coils, and horizontal booklets panes on August 6, 1970, in Washington, District of Columbia. The sheet stamp was produced from plates of four hundred and sold in panes of one hundred stamps with gauge 11 x 10.5 perforations. The horizontal booklet panes of eight 6-cent stamps were used in combination with the horizontal 1-cent Jefferson pane of eight.
Robert Geissmann based his design for the stamp on a photograph by George Tames of The New York Times. Arthur W. Dintaman engraved the vignette, and Kenneth C. Wiram engraved the lettering.
The 6-cent Eisenhower stamp paid the domestic first-class letter rate, and it was also used in combination with other denominations to cover existing rates.