A turquoise 1 1/4-cent stamp issued in both sheet form and coiled rolls on June 17, 1960, features an image of the Palace of Governors in Santa Fe, New Mexico. This coincided with the opening day of Santa Fe’s 350th anniversary celebration. The Palace is shown on the stamp from a front angle, a design which was taken from a photograph by Tyler Dingee of Santa Fe. The Governor's Palace stamp was the eighth 'national shrine' honored by this series.
The new stamps were used for bulk mailings by not-for-profit organizations. The stamps sold at the first day ceremonies were not precancelled, but starting on June 18, the stamps were available to the general public only in precancelled form at post offices. They remained on sale and available to collectors at the Philatelic Sales Agency in Washington in non-precancelled form. On July 1 the first-class postage rate was five cents, making a strip of four or a block of four stamps an interesting first day cover franking.
The Palace, built in 1610, has long been considered America’s oldest public building. It was New Mexico's seat of government until 1901. It is now a museum.