The Postal Service issued five 37-cent Southeastern Lighthouses commemorative stamps in a pressure-sensitive adhesive pane of twenty stamps in five designs on June 13, 2003, in Tybee Island, Georgia. The stamps were designed by Howard E. Paine, Delaplane, Virginia, and illustrated by Howard Koslow, Toms River, New Jersey.
The Southeastern Lighthouses stamps commemorate five lighthouses spanning the coast from Virginia to southern Florida. These five structures — at Old Cape Henry, Cape Lookout, Morris Island, Tybee Island, and Hillsboro Inlet — typify the beauty and colorful history of the nation's lighthouses.
o Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, on the grounds of Fort Story in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was the first lighthouse constructed by the US government and began protecting the southern mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in 1792.
o Cape Lookout Lighthouse is located on Core Banks along Cape Lookout National Seashore near Beaufort, North Carolina, and was activated in 1859.
o Morris Island Lighthouse, located at the entrance to the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina, began operation in 1876 on the site of an earlier lighthouse, established in 1767 but destroyed during the Civil War.
o Tybee Island Lighthouse was built in 1773 on Tybee Island east of Savannah, Georgia. Marking the mouth of the Savannah River, this lighthouse continues to guide ships safely into Savannah harbor.
o Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse was built under federal government contract in Detroit, Michigan, then erected and inspected before being shipped to its present location near Pompano Beach, Florida, where it was reassembled and activated in 1907. Today, the Hillsboro Inlet light is visible from a distance of more than twenty miles.
Sennett Security Products, located at the American Packaging Corporation in Columbus, Wisconsin, printed 125 million stamps in the gravure process with Scrambled Indicia.
Postal Bulletin (May 15, 2003).